Probate and Trust Administration

Experienced Attorney for Estate Administration in Ohio and Kentucky

For many people, the estate administration process can be overwhelming. Not only is the process unfamiliar and complicated, but it also comes at a time when the last thing you want to think about is paying creditors, dealing with the courts and potentially dealing with disputes among family members. However, dealing with probate and trust administration is also necessary; and, with the help of an experienced attorney, the process does not have to be as difficult, time-consuming or emotionally-draining as most people think.

Jim Singler is an experienced attorney who represents executors, personal representatives, trustees, guardians, heirs, beneficiaries and other interested parties in all aspects of probate and trust administration. With well over a decade of experience in estate planning and estate administration, Jim offers insightful, practical and straightforward legal advice for the administration of estates in Ohio and Kentucky. Whether you have been named the executor, personal representative or trustee of a loved one’s estate, or you believe you are entitled to a share of a loved one’s estate as an heir or beneficiary, Jim can help you make informed decisions at all stages of the estate administration process.

What is Probate?

When a person dies in Ohio or Kentucky, his or her estate is subject to probate. Probate is the judicial process for winding up a person’s final affairs, including appointing an executor or personal representative, appointing a guardian for minor children, liquidating assets, resolving creditor claims, and distributing portions of the deceased’s estate that are subject to the terms of a will or the law of intestate succession.

How is Trust Administration Different from Probate Administration?

Trust administration is a separate process from probate administration, although both processes generally take place simultaneously. There are many advantages to transferring assets outside of the probate process, and trusts are among the primary estate planning tools used for this purpose. When a person leaves behind assets in a trust, his or her appointed trustee will be responsible for managing those assets and distributing them according to the terms of the trust.

What Do I Need to Know if I have Been Named as an Executor, Personal Representative or Trustee?

If you have been named as an executor, personal representative or trustee in a loved one’s will or trust, you have a number of legal obligations which you must begin to undertake fairly quickly. To avoid mistakes, you can hire an attorney to help you understand these obligations and guide you through the estate administration process.

What Can I Do if I Need Help to Enforce or Challenge a Loved One’s Estate Plan?

If you believe that your loved one’s estate plan is not being followed appropriately, or if you believe that your loved one was coerced into signing estate planning documents that do not actually reflect his or her final wishes, it is important that you seek legal help promptly. There are legal remedies available in both scenarios, and the specific options available to you will depend upon the particular facts and circumstances involved.

Speak With Estate Administration Attorney Jim Singler in Confidence

If you would like to speak with attorney Jim Singler about your loved one’s estate, please contact us to arrange a confidential initial consultation. You can reach us by phone at 513-486-0000, or tell us how to reach you online and we will be in touch as soon as possible.